ZF Delivers 360° of Safety to Commercial Vehicles
According to the HDT/Work Truck Safety Survey 2021, distracted driving detection is the top technology that America’s largest fleets plan to invest in within the next year. ZF provides 360° of safety – front, side and rear – helping to shield the truck and trailer from potential hazards through detection and dynamic control. With the successful integration of WABCO, ZF’s Commercial Vehicle Solutions division, launching January 2022, is intensely focused on delivering intelligent, and function-led technologies and systems required for future autonomous, connected and electric commercial vehicles.
“ZF is helping revolutionize the commercial vehicle market by bringing cleaner, smarter, safer and more efficient technologies to this important transportation sector,” said Julien Plenchette, vice president, Americas, Commercial Vehicle Division, ZF Group. “Safety is critically important for our customers and everyone who shares the road with trucks. ZF is focused on delivering products and systems that can aid in creating a safety perimeter around the vehicle to help avoid accidents.”
ZF highlighted the following technologies at the TMC Fall 2021 event, held September 12-16 in Cleveland, Ohio:
- OnGuardMAX combines sophisticated data integration with state-of-the-art camera and radar sensors to detect, classify and react to moving and stationary vehicles and objects. The system is designed to warn the driver of imminent collisions and, if necessary, can autonomously bring the vehicle to a complete stop. Other features include lane departure warning, road departure braking, traffic sign recognition and safety distance support. When paired with next-generation braking systems, OnGuardMAX can enable adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go.
- OnSideALERT™ Passive Lane Change Assist is a radar-based, blind-spot detection system that supports drivers merging into adjacent lanes by checking them for clearance and for the first time is applicable to both the driver and passenger sides of the vehicle. The advanced driver assistance system enables coverage of the entire side of a standard Class 8 truck and 53’ trailer and is designed to effectively address side collisions and helps to prevent or mitigate truck crashes by alerting drivers of moving vehicles in the blind spot at speeds of 24 km/h and above.
- TailGUARD™ is a reversing collision avoidance system with automatic braking. It is designed to detect small, large, static and moving objects in the blind spot behind the vehicle, automatically stopping the vehicle at a safe distance and helping to prevent collisions. Activated when reversing, sensors monitor approximately 2 m behind the vehicle and trigger vehicle brakes automatically if the brake is not applied at 60 cm from the object.
- ReAX adaptive steering is designed to adapt to signals from the vehicle and analyzes driver input to provide smoother, more precise steering, helping to improve performance and reduce driver fatigue. Intelligent, assisted steering designed for commercial vehicles is the foundation for increasing levels of automated driving and further integration with other ZF products, like OnGuardMAX.
- TrailerCAST™ trailer telematics is engineered to interpret and broadcast critical events enabling deeper fleet intelligence and delivering real-time vehicle insights to help maximize uptime. TrailerCAST enables GPS position tracking and critical issue alerts. It also supports fleets with optimized planning of maintenance cycles.
ZF’s Commercial Vehicle Solutions Division is on schedule to launch January 1st, 2022. In the Americas, the new division will be led by Julien Plenchette who previously served as Americas Region OEM Truck, Bus, Car & Fleet business leader. As a member of the regional leadership team, he played a key role in developing Americas strategy and driving excellence that has strengthened customers relationships and led to key commercial wins. Prior to joining WABCO in May 2019, he was vice president of sales and projects for LS Automotive and previously gained experience in commercial sales, finance, engineering, manufacturing operations management and executive leadership with Valeo and Chassix, among other companies.
Source: ZF Group